The Board functions towards ensuring proper implementation of the Biological Diversity Act, 2002 and the West Bengal Biological Diversity Rules, 2005. The important functions undertaken by the Board include
▪ To make people aware of the biodiversity and its importance in human wellbeing.
▪ Constitution of Biodiversity Management Committees(BMC) in the Panchayat Samity and Municipality level.
▪ Documenting biodiversity, their uses and traditional knowledge and practices associated with those in the form of People's Biodiversity Register (PBR) involving local people through the concern BMCs
▪ Initiating and guiding Post PBR activities: conservation initiatives, entrepreneurship development on sustainable biological resources, biological resource management and other such activities.
▪ Identification of Heritage Sites and Sacred Groves of the state and prepare the management plan of those area in consultation with the concern BMCs.
▪ Conducting Studies on biodiversity related issues of the state.
▪ Regulating commercial activities related to bio-resources of the state as per the Biological Diversity Act, 2002
▪ Regulating other activities which affect the biodiversity of the state as per the said act & rules
▪ Documentation of Biodiversity of the state: in the form of comprehensive digitized data of available resources of the State along with a digital library and also an annotated bibliography of available literature on biodiversity of the State.
▪ The Board has planned to restore at least one wild habitat in a Block having considerablearea for sustenance of diverse life forms of that area.
▪ Awareness generation is a major function of the Board, particularly among the students. For thatthe Board undertakes various programmes, like - Seminars, Bio - Tour, Field Training, Programme, publication of awareness materials, etc.